Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ramblings from my 40's: Dinner for 2



I sit here enjoying my Belgian ale with a tummy full of veggie pasta and can't believe I can cook. I'm 40 and only now do I feel comfortable saying I can cook. My poor kids were subjected to frozen chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, pizza and the occasional poorly made spaghetti dinner. Why did it take so long for me to learn to cook? When the kids were busy growing up I was consumed with work and building my career- is that a good excuse? The last thing I wanted to do after a long stressful day at work was cook a delicious, healthy dinner. I was good at ONE meal, Thanksgiving dinner. I prepared for this day for weeks, spent two days cooking and making sure the table was set just right. The meal was always perfect, but it took 2 damn days to create! One day a year the family got to see and taste a glimmer of what I was capable of. I just didn't have the time, the passion or desire to try this during a normal weeknight when the kids were young. NOW?... It's a Thursday night and I just whipped up an organic, healthy, yummy dinner for two. I felt guilty and selfish as I devoured tonight's meal. Was I a mediocre mom? Is it horrible that my son cooked dinner for the family more often than I did? I hope the kids have better memories of growing up than I have made up in my mind.

xoxo

Heather



2 comments:

  1. Heather, your kids are not only healthy but also intelligent. They know how to eat healthy and prepare their own meals. I think that is a great life skill to have even if it was out of necessity. We do what we can as parents.. some choices are better than others. We are always more critical of ourselves than the way others view us. I'm glad that your finding more time to be creative in the kitchen. You're a great mom!

    P.s.. Thanksgiving at your house is always very delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete